Saturday, March 20, 2010

A woman's quest for good BBQ

Today was TORTURE. It all began last night...

My work is in downtown Chandler where several big events are held each year, one of them being the 1st Annual BBQ Cook-Off. For the last hour of work, all the vendors started setting up so they could cook through the night.

When I arrived at work this morning, I knew I was in trouble. The smell of BBQ was overwhelming once I stepped out of my car. Unfortunately, my desk is right next to a window and I had to spend 4 GRUESOME hours watching hundreds and hundreds of patrons walk by the booths of amazing smelling BBQ ribs, brisket, and chicken. All I had to do was make it to 1:00 and then it was my turn to partake of the delicious animals I was watching everyone else devour! At one point I even put up a sign on my window that said "Feed Me! Please?"

My friend Kelly met me at my work at 1:00 and we stood in a ridiculously long line (a lot longer than I had expected!) to get into the event. About 20 minutes in and about 20 people away from the entrance, they announced...THEY HAD RUN OUT OF FOOD! They were still letting people in, but most vendors were running out. What the heck!!! I was devastated. After hours of torture, I didn't even get a single bite of food. The worst part was, the even was supposed to go on for another 7+ hours.

Apparently Phoenix Metro is starved for good BBQ! I hope next year they plan ahead, and I will plan to NOT work :)

The quest for good BBQ continues...

On a happier note, I went to the Phoenix Coyotes NHL game and got to sit in a suite next to Alice Cooper. The game was AWESOME! Phoenix won in double OT!

2 comments:

Anaise said...

I believe you when you use the word torture--how could they run out of food?

I'm totally cracking up at you putting that sign in your window!

Mommy of Two said...

Ok so I totally laughed out loud when I read that you put up a sign! Omg that the funniest thing ive heard all day!