Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My behavior style

This morning I spent over 2 hours in a mentor meeting at work. What did I learn?

I'm a control freak! (Shut up Kelly)

Not just any control freak, but more specifically my "behavior style" is that of an owl. Characteristics of a (human) owl are we are detail-oriented, organized, we love facts, figures, and accuracy, we listen well and remember everything, we don't tolerate change well, need validation in everything we do, and are unemotional.

It's scary how true that all is in my work life.

What does this mean?

It means I finally realize why work has been so crappy lately. I got moved to a new office 6 months ago, and it's been weird ever since. I'm out of my element. I have a new supervisor who I'm not used to, I had to change up my daily routine, and my desk isn't quite organized the way I'd like it.

I may not be able to solve all of my problems in life, but it's nice to get insight sometimes about why I am the way I am. My tendancy is to treat other people like they're also "owls", but that's not the case. I believe that identifying my weaknesses will only help me do better and succeed in the way I used to.

Click
here to take your own behavioral style test. (It's free provided you enter in a valid email address) It's not the exact same as the one I took at work, but maybe you can find out a little bit about yourself, too :)

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I totally don't get the control freak vibe from you, but if the test says so...lol. I think I need to see you at work, the oh so great owl! Maybe I'll sneak in and observe, maybe I'll see a control freak moment and then you can convince me.

Sorry you're out of your element at work, hopefully it will get better! And if all else fails, all the drama at work can distract you. haha

Anaise said...

I always cry after I've done a personality assessment--I'm not the person I wish I were. I'm working on being happy with who I am.

Good luck organizing your desk . . . maybe then you can come do mine. :)