Saturday, March 6, 2010

Organic, or....

I've been having this recurring thought that I should start eating organic....

Do I really want to? Kinda...

Can I afford it? Absolutely not!

Is it a phase? Probably, considering my whole life is a series of odd phases :)

I even found farm co-ops in the area--relatively cheap!

What do you think? Can I pull it off? I think watching Food, Inc. made me really see the harm I was doing to my body by eating fast food, processed, and chemically enhanced food. I'm finding it hard to stomach certain foods these days. The other day I bought a bag of dried apricots from Fresh & Easy and upon reading the label I saw Sulfur Dioxide...what the heck is that?! Do I really need to be putting some kind of perserving agent into my body unnecessarily?

Please discuss...

4 comments:

Anaise said...

We eat as much organic as we can, but we also have allowed a lot of processed stuff creep back into our world lately. I'm hoping with the coming of spring and gardening that I can get my act back together and really do what's good for us.

I think that our eating habits are always fluctuating--sometimes great, sometimes not so great, and then back to great again--it's a constant cycle.

Judy said...

Sulfur dioxide is a preservative (gas) that gives YOU gas that smells like rotten eggs. Ever noticed? Sulfur is major stinky.

For tips on how to gradually change your diet to organic/mega healthy/lose-weight-and-feel-stuffed, talk to Karina. AD too. Once you go macrobiotic, it's cheaper in the long run in my opinion. Getting the sugar out of your system is a challenge, but I haven't had sugar for years now and it's easy as pie... :)

Of course, REAL sugar is allowed in an organic diet, and Karina is coming up with some fantastic recipes, too, with organic sugar substitutes. Get a wheat grinder and go for it!

Diane said...

I'm so glad you are back. I haven't had time for a few days to read blogs and I loved catching up on yours. Cracked me up reading some of them. As far as organic, count me out. I saw organic animal crackers at Costco. From what I can see they are exactly the same with $5 added.

Camille said...

Talk to my sister Trish about it. She's the expert in the family these days and has given us lots of great info!