Thursday, March 18, 2010

Bread craze!

Yesterday I pulled out my dusty bread maker and made a DELICIOUS loaf of whole wheat bread! There is no way the bread you buy in the store can be good for you, considering it can sit in your fridge for months and never go bad. My solution? Do it myself!

Isn't she a beauty?! :D

Here's the super easy recipe:

1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 (.25 ounce) package bread machine yeast
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt

I usually add 2 T honey, too.

Place the water, sugar and yeast in the pan of the bread machine. Let the yeast dissolve and foam for 10 minutes. Add the oil, flour, honey and salt to the yeast. Select Wheat Bread setting, and press Start.

Yield 1 - 1 1/2 lb. loaf

Enjoy! :)

5 comments:

Anaise said...

Enjoy that yummy bread! It sure is beautiful. :)

Shar said...

the bread looks amazing! i'm so excited for the recipe, i've been looking for a good one. i've been getting freshly ground wheat from a gal in charlottes ward. thank you long lost cuz. come see me!

Karina said...

Thanks, Malena. But what's bread machine yeast? There's certainly nothing called that at my stores. Is it fast yeast or regular yeast? Because if I select the wheat bread setting on my machine, it's going to assume I'm using regular yeast. I'm new to this. Help.

Karina said...

Internet research said that instant yeast is bread machine yeast...so I'm making it right now, although I did make some changes.

I used applesauce instead of oil and agave instead of honey. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm really hoping this is THE one.

Karina said...

Malena, thank you for the bread recipe. It's officially my favorite. I love my bread machine because it does it within an hour.

But I wanted to tell you that I use 2 cups of freshly ground wheat flour (that I store in my freezer) and 3/4 cups of ground flax seed that I ground myself in the blender (and store in my freezer). I also use 2 T. brown sugar instead of white. And I use 1/4 cup applesauce instead of oil. Delicious! My kids even eat it plain without honey or butter on it!