Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Bee boxes

I stumbled upon a local farm co-op that sells boxes of produce to the community each week. You get to pick your location (there are literally hundreds in my area alone), and time of pick-up and you get this box FULL of amazingly good fruit and veggies!

I picked up my first box yesterday. I got:
5 pound bag of potatoes
2 artichokes
2 zucchini
6 tomatoes
1 package celery
1 head romaine lettuce
2 cantaloupes
6 apples
1 box strawberries
1 box blackberries
5 bananas

I'm so dang excited! I love that this will entice me to eat triple the amount of fresh (and local!) fruits and veggies.

I just had to share :)

www.greenbeeproduce.com

They deliver to Arizona and Utah. If you're in one of these locations and don't have a pick-up location near you, you can become a host.

/end shameless plug :D

4 comments:

Anaise said...

That's good stuff you've listed--the joys of living in a place with year-round gardening.

Our ground isn't even soft enough to work with yet, so we have to wait for the lovely produce.

Enjoy!

Maggie said...

Where are they getting the bananas? There is no place in the US that grows bananas and they are never sold at our farmers markets, only local stuff. We are part of a CSA as well, but it's only local produce, stuff most people would never eat!

Maggie said...

Check out www.localharvest.org to find a CSA in your area that's local. I just went to the site you posted and they admit to not using organic produce. Conventional farming has one of the biggest environmental impacts. Basically, it would be worse environmentally to get non-organic produce in your state vs. organic produce from two states away. Bananas, unless fair trade, are part of the worst industry out there. The workers are treated very poorly, and every time people buy bananas, they are supporting their abuse. Most bananas are NOT fair trade unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

I get stuff from Green Bee too!!! Love it love it love it.I know they try to get local produce first but if they did do all local the boxes would be kinda boring don't ya think?