Friday, January 25, 2008

It's been a great week

What a busy week! It was, however, a very good week. Here are all the exciting things that have been going on:
I've been taking my lunches to work, and have found that I am saving a ton of money. I used to go out to eat several times a week, and aside from the health benefits of stopping this, I have more money to buy better foods in the grocery store.
There's a few of us in my ward who want to go walking once a week, so we started doing that on Tuesday. It was really fun, and quite relaxing.
Our biggest loser contest started at work on Thursday. There are 8 people total participating and the contest runs for the next 12 weeks. I'm SO going to win. :)
I'm in my second week of dancing lessons. I go twice a week for Latin and Swing dancing classes with my friend, Max. I'm really enjoying this for two reasons: It gives me something to do, rather than sit at home and eat. And, it's getting me moving. We're not into the complicated stuff yet, but when we are, it'll be more like a workout. I've also realized that I don't have any hips (kind of mandatory for Latin dancing.) That'll be changing soon!

It's amazing that after only two short weeks, I'm already feeling better and noticing changes. My clothes are a little bit looser, I have more energy, I'm sleeping more comfortably, and it doesn't hurt so much to do little things (like walk around Wal-Mart for an hour like I did on Wednesday). When I weighed myself for The Biggest Loser contest yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I weighed a little bit less than I thought I did. The last time I weighed myself was about 2 months ago at the gym. I kind of wish I would have weighed myself a few weeks ago. Oh well. The past doesn't matter.

My heartfelt thanks go out to everyone again for the support and the comments you send my way. They make me cry, laugh, but more importantly, they keep me motivated and inspired. You are all amazing!

P.S. I'm going to respond to each of your comments individually this week. I've been neglecting that, and I'll make up for it this week. I'm sorry!

P.P.S. Another motivational song/video. Listen to the lyrics. They're pretty cool.

7 comments:

AD said...

CHA CHA CHA! How fun is that to be doing a dance class! I'm so impressed by your positive attitude and determination. Thought for the day: "The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph!" (Marvin Phillips)

Diane said...

You are so amazing me. I have wanted to take dance my whole life because I CANNOT DANCE and here you are doing it. I'm so proud of you. You are motivating the entire family and making us want to join in. The only problem I can see is that I want daily information from every single blogger!! Way to go. Onward and upward.

Kandis said...

Once you make it big on the "Dancing with the Stars" and forget about all of us little people can I still claim that you are my cousin? You are totally awesome and I'm so proud of you! You are an inspiration and I can't wait for you to teach me a little something about dancing because as you can tell from my mother's post...we ain't got no rhythm!!

Camille said...

You're awesome cousin! Keep it up and remember to pray when it seems like it's getting hard or you feel like giving up. Each day is a new day and a new year for resolutions (like my mission president used to say.) You're on the right track and look at all the people you're inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Malena! This is such a incredible goal. I am so incredibly impressed by your committment to this. I have been a swim coach for many years and have helped so many of my girls go tackle this issue- so I have seen a lot on this. You are on the right track, girl! My best advice to you is to find a way to enjoy what you do as you reach your goal, because it will help keep you motivated to persevere through the tough moments... and pray that God blesses you through your journey.

Unknown said...

Amen to all the comments, especially finding something you love to do - to keep you on track as you lose. Walking really can become a balm to your soul! I knew this day would come for you, but I never would have guessed that all this help would be there for you. How joyful it is to be your Mom! I love you, I'm cheering for you, I'm praying for you, and I ABSOLUTELY KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!! It will be worth every agony and pain, every candy bar you pass up, and every carrot you eat! Those CHA CHA CHA'S will become HA, HA, HA'S.
Love you!

Shar said...

You go girl! You are making all the small changes that make a big difference! Keep it up, you're helping me! Love you