Saturday, January 19, 2008

And the journey continues!

Hello friends and family,

First, I want to thank you ALL for the outpouring of support and generosity towards me. I don't think you realize how much I appreciate it. I cried when I read each of your comments. I really did! Had I known I'd have so much support, I probably would have started this journey a while ago. Thank you for everything. I can do this, and I know you all are going to be able to help me. I love you all!

This week was really good. I haven't been on any strict diet plan-I don't want to start that until I talk to a counselor. This week I have been practicing moderation. I've been measuring my food, and last night when a few of us went to dinner, I split half my meal with my friend. Guess what? I was still satisfied! I wasn't "full", which was amazing, because everytime I eat out, I eat as much as I can. I didn't eat anything else for the rest of the night and I felt great! Today I went grocery shopping and bought a few health foods (hello, expensive groceries!), and some snacks that I can eat throughout the day so my 3 meals aren't as huge and heavy as they usually are.

My roommates have been amazing this week-when Anneliesa and Aubrie came home from playing tennis today, Aubrie came into my room and said: "Get your shoes on NOW, we're going on a walk!" I also went walking with a very willing Lindsey this week. I don't think I could have better roommates. Thanks for the support girls!

At work on Friday we had pizza ordered, and since I had a half day, and left work before the pizza even got there, I didn't eat any! I'm not even a huge pizza fan, but when it comes to food, I eat anything, and a lot of it. That's what my problem is...why do I have to eat, to just eat? If I don't like it, or am not hungry, then don't eat it (or I won't now!)


At work this next week, we are starting a "Biggest Loser" contest. There's a bunch of people at work on diets, so I though, why not make it into a contest? I've heard of a lot of companies doing the Biggest Loser, and I'm excited for us to start! More details and updates to come.

Until next time!
Malena

P.S. I have my 5 year high school reunion at the end of May, and I'm actually looking forward to going (plus it's a big motivator to lose weight!)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Malena I am so proud of you! I am glad you have taken the initiative to lose weight and make your life better. Keep up the good work! Luv ya! :-]

Malena said...

WAIT! Who are you?!

Our Family said...

Good for you Malena!!! KEEP IT UP! You sound SO great and happy and I'm so proud of you! You're absolutely RIGHT about those stinkin' expensive groceries!! Why do we get punished for trying to eat healthy!! GRRRrrrr.

The Walkers said...

Malena,

When i read that i got the biggest smile. I am so proud of you and i know that only great things will happen from here on because of this decision. I love YOU !!! Call me if you need anything.

Brittany

Diane said...

Hello cruise buddy. You were killing me without updating your blog for so long. DO NOT do that again. Your old aunt needs something to keep her going and reading my relatives blogs is my new passion!! Yours just touches my heart and I want you to know we are all praying for you every single day. We want you to experience that joy that Heavenly Father has just waiting for you. You are really inspiring to all of us. Keep it up and don't forget to write!!

Anonymous said...

Malena, E-mail aunt Judy and ask her
about her work contest they have ongoing. She was the big winner the first year, and got lots of new clothes with the money she won! Let her know about your blog!

My heart hurts when I think of what the first counselor put your brother through. Always remember that if you don't like your counselor, CHANGE! I'm praying for you, daughter of mine, and I love you! Norma said to tell you that she loves you, and Evelyn says to give you her best!

Much love! Mom

Camille said...

Get Bob Greene's Best Life Diet book. Best $20 I spent. I'm reading it now. It's NOT a diet. It's a lifestyle and the food is NOT expensive. In fact, his label is on food you probably already eat. Seriously, read it and you'll love it.

and I love you.

Camille said...

http://www2.oprah.com/health/bob/bestlife/challenge/20080114/challenge_20080114_350_115.jhtml?promocode=HP44

that's the link to some info on The Best Life Diet. It's really life changing.

Kandis said...

Do you ever watch "The Biggest Loser" on tv? They will usually have some tips on little exercises that you can do while you're at work, or even things you can do at home without going out and buying weights or other expensive workout equipment.

I think that it's really good you're becoming aware of what you're eating! It's so easy to just eat and not think about the quantities of food that you're downing but when you make a conscious effort to pay attention then I think you tend to eat less.

Good luck finding a good counselor!

P.S. In the Ensign for January there was an article or two on weight loss. It's always good to read success stories to help keep you motivated!

Uncle Dan said...

Hi Niece:

Just wanted to tell you how much we enjoyed having you with us on the cruise. It was so nice to have you there with us.

As one who knows all to well how hard it is to make life style changes, we wish you all the best. Nothing is harder than changing old habits. Boy don't I know it.

By the way, thanks to Judy for giving everyone the addresses for these blogs sites. I never knew how to find them. This is the first one I have ever visited.

Uncle Dan

AD said...

How grateful we all are for good friends and family members who rise up to help us through our challenges. I'm SO happy you have loving and supportive roommates! Here's a thought for you:
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” Corrie Ten Boom

. said...

I think I'm a little behind the times here, but I just found you and want to lend my support, too! We haven't talked in ages, but I wanted to tell you I'm really proud of you. Way to go! You are so lovely. And, as everyone else has said, you can do this!

Good Carma said...

Malena girl, you just take one step at time and one day at a time doing the best you can that day. Don't get discouraged by the bumps and pitfalls you encounter, pick yourself up stand tall and go forward. Don't waste any engery on guilt or remorse,always think to yourself that was then, this is now, I can make a difference. Your strong character will see you through, you are beautiful, look in the mirror and tell yourself that each day, say it out loud so you can hear it. If in doubt call me, I will say it and say it, I love you girl. Hey, after 20 lbs call me, I will give a pass to fly away and celebrate. Promise now.