Sunday, February 3, 2008

1.4 and counting...

So, I've found my first obstacle-eating out. I love to eat out, and I love going out with my friends and just relaxing. These past two weeks, I have had many opportunities to go out to eat. My roommate celebrated her 30th birthday, which of course involved eating out several times. I made good choices both times we went out, but at one of the restaurants we ordered dessert...and I'll let you figure out what happened. BUT...I did get really sick that night, and I think that was my consequence for eating dessert. This weekend (Friday night) a few of us went to Sweet Tomatoes. Yeah, it's a salad bar, but that doesn't mean it's healthy. Between the chocolate lava cake, pizza, and macaroni and cheese, I didn't hold back. Granted, I did eat less than I normally would, but I was still disappointed in myself. Yesterday afternoon a group of us went to Claim Jumper to celebrate my friends' baptism, and I ordered a salad. It was all fine and dandy until we ordered dessert. You can figure out what happened with that too...

Well, it's a new week, and I am praying for strength to overcome this specific obstacle. I believe I will be able to conquer it, but it's going to be difficult. Any suggestions?

Our first weigh-in for biggest loser was this week. I lost 1.4 pounds, which I was very happy about. I know it's not a lot, but it's in the right direction, which is all I want. There are 8 people participating, and out of 6 that weighed-in on Thursday, we lost a total of 12 pounds. That's not too shabby! I recently found out that another department at my work (located in another branch) is also doing the biggest loser contest. I wish we could have started at the same time, so more people could participate. The leader of their contest happens to be my good friend, Brenda, and she's lost a total of 17.5 pounds to date. She's an inspiration to me!

More updates to come soon. Thanks for reading!

Motivational song for the week:
"Hero" Mariah Carey
Cheesy...I know, but listen to the lyrics. They're good.

4 comments:

Erika Bassett said...

I absolutely love that song! It's a good reminder to me that each of us has it in us to be great if we just let ourselves. I wish I had some advice for you when it comes to the dessert part. Even if I did have advice I would be hypocritical in giving it because I too have a hard time when it comes to desserts. Glad to hear that everything else is going so well. Keep it up!

Camille said...

sweetie, the best advice I can give you is to start again the next day. if you fall off the wagon, start again. sometimes weekends kill me, but I always start again. Dont' give up because you gave in. Really, I'll say it again... pick up the book The Best Life by Bob Greene and Oprah. It's really been helpful to me. Keep up the good work... and I'm with AD. Counseling is great and will seriously help. You (speaking collectively) can't lose weight and keep it off until you get to the root of the problem. Really. I am having to learn that myself! Love ya cous!

Kandis said...

So I agree with Camille in the fact that you just need to not get too discouraged with yourself and start again. It's really easy to tell yourself, "Well, I have already blown everything by eating this dessert so the whole day is a disaster and I'll start again tomorrow. Until then, I might as well eat what I want because I already failed." Okay, so maybe you've never thought that but I sure have. The best thing is to accept the fact that you deviated from your goal and then try do your best right away. I think it's unrealistic to think that you should cut desserts completely out but just remember that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Don't get too discouraged with yourself either, you're doing great! 1.4 pounds is a heckuvalot better than gaining!!! You go girl!!!!

Diane said...

Ken & I went to the American Heart Association classes once and we had to keep track of what we ate. I have one dessert a day and so I would always write it down. The teacher counseled me for eating desserts but I just need one a day for life to be worth it. I lost the most of the class. Sometimes that one sweet can stop me from eating way too much trying to feel full. M&M's were my treat. This probably isn't great advice because I know sugar isn't good for you but is what I'm trying to tell you is to get to know yourself and what it takes to accomplish your goal. I'm so proud of you for trying and I'm so happy for your success. Make sure you acknowledge your accomplishments. We are all here for you. Love you.