Thursday, January 10, 2008

Belize...the city of...lots of shopping?

Day four, Jan 10:


Hello! Our day was spent in Belize City, Belize. This country was not like I expected it to be…am I the only one who didn’t know that this country’s primary language is English? It didn’t feel like I was in a foreign country at all. Most of our group went on a cave tubing/zip line excursion, Reva went snorkeling, and I went on a train tour. There were about 30 of us on the train, and for over an hour we went all around Belize City, with a tour guide pointing out various points of interest. For the first half of the tour we went through the wealthier part of Belize City, including the residence of their country’s version of the Prime Minister (I can’t remember what he’s called). The second half took us through the poorest section of town. For the most part the people are very friendly, but there were a few people who yelled at our train as we passed. Seeing these people living in filth, and houses in shambles sure made me appreciate where I live, the fact that I have a job and a steady income, and a loving, helpful family.


After the tour I walked around the city and shopped for some souvenirs. I had to decline the offer for people to braid my hair about a dozen times. They were relentless. Can you imagine me coming back home with braided hair? HA! Not gonna happen. Or maybe it did…


I headed back to the boat, ate some lunch, and slept. Being in the sun and humidity sure wears me out. Reva and the rest of our group made it back in time for dinner, and we feasted on lamb, shrimp, and chicken. For dessert we had the most delicious, rich chocolate cake I’ve ever had in my life.


After dinner, a group of us met in the library for a Sudoku challenge. My aunt Ellen won, much to everyone’s disappointment. J We socialized, shared pictures, played games, and I had a nice chat with my cousin Adrianne and aunt Martha. Most of us headed off to the Love and Marriage gameshow. They selected couples out of the audience according to how long they had been married. Newlyweds-5 years, 6 years to 25 years, and 25 years +. My cousin Sharla and her husband Jeff tried to get picked for the 6-25 year slot, but they ended getting second place for it. Grrrr! The gameshow was hilarious and we all had some good laughs. Everyone was off to bed after that, and I find currently find myself sitting in the Centarium listening to live jazz music and having appetizers and drinks brought to me. I could sure get used to this!


Tomorrow we’re at sea all day and will arrive in Ft. Lauderdale by Saturday morning. If I do anything worth writing about, I’ll update my blog. I hope you have all enjoyed reading all of this…If there are any of you out there actually reading it…


More to come!


P.S. When I get back to AZ I will post pictures of the cruise on here. On the ship I’m charged per minute for the internet and I don’t want to pay a huge bill to post pictures. Check back on Sunday or Monday for pics.

1 comment:

Diane said...

So sad I missed that train ride. Thanks for making the Sudoku information public. I will sign autographs any time!!