Sunday, July 1, 2012

Paperwork?

You know I love my journeys.  Well, I've got a whopper of a journey coming up!

Hopefully most of you have seen my mysterious posts on Facebook lately about mailing in paperwork, and while I know it's super annoying to be left in the dark, there's a good reason for it! 

I didn't want to announce anything until I was sure it was going to happen. 

Here we go...

In the next few months, I'm going to shrink.  In a very good way.

I'm going to be getting bariatric surgery.  The sleeve gastrectomy, to be exact.

Before you jump to conclusions, allow me to explain a little bit of the history about my decision.

Weight loss surgery has been in the back of my mind for nearly 10 years now.  My mom took me to our family doctor several years ago, and the doctor told me I'd be the perfect candidate for surgery.  That's all nice and everything, but I can lose the weight on my own, right?

I tried.  You all KNOW I've tried.  And the truth is, someday, sometime, I'd probably be able to do it on my own. 

The thing about me and dieting is we're really good together for several months, but then things start to change.  When things change, I start to rebel, and I gain back all the weight I've lost, plus more.

I can't do that anymore.

I found out a few short months ago I have diabetes.  That's no yo-yo dieting matter.  No more gaining weight back.

I am extremely, Extremely, EXTREMELY blessed to have health insurance that is going to cover nearly 95% of this surgery.  We're talking $20-30k here.  Wow, right?

I've been in touch with Scottsdale Bariatric Center for a few years now, just in case I ever decided to get surgery.  They are, simply put, amazing.  One of the top bariatric centers in the entire world.  People come from all over just to be taken care of by the very surgeon that is 20 minutes from my house.  I am so, so blessed.

This is a big deal.  A big decision I am not taking lightly.  My live is going to change, big time. 

As the surgical assistant I met on Thursday said to me as I left my appointment, "We're going to make your outsides match your insides."

It's what I've always dreamed of.

P.S.  I'll be primarily using this blog to communicate about the surgery instead of Facebook.  It's a somewhat private matter, and I think this blog is perfect for it.

P.P.S  Please direct all comments to this blog, instead of my Facebook post.  Thanks!

P.P.S.S  To learn more about the procedure, visit http://www.shc.org/Medical+Services/Bariatrics/Weight+Loss+Surgery+Options/Laparoscopic+Gastric+Sleeving+Surgery

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I know a few people that have done it because our dormer insurance company covered it. Its a grea thing :)

Elaine

Camille said...

Wow! That is huge news! I pray everything goes well. I will be thinking of you!

Unknown said...

Wow! Good for you. I will keep you in my prayers.

Unknown said...

I am so incredibly happy for you! And, I love the nursing assistants comment. Can't wait to hear all about this amazing journey of YOURS! ((HUGS)) Ro

Diane said...

We are here for you. That is a big step and it is obvious you have put a lot of thought into it. Best of luck.

Cade said...

All the best. My carpool friend had this surgery and he is an exercise fool now. I hope this helps jump start you to good eating/exercising habits.

Anaise said...

That's exciting news! You'll be in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Malena! Love you!I'll Keep you in my Prayers as well! <3 Jolie

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you! This will be a great change for you and allow you to be healthy and keep the weight off while still eating right. Can't wait to start to see the change!

Karina said...

Very exciting stuff! Can't wait to hear more about it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you are surrounded by family and friends who are so supportive of you, and that you are blessed with a wonderful job and insurance that will cover most of the cost! What a huge blessing. I hope that the surgery will be a complete success, and as the nursing assistant said, everyone will see an exterior that matches the interior. I also hear great things about bariatric surgery helping to control, or in many cases, even reverse diabetes. Here's to no more Yo-Yo dieting!